As an athlete, and a fitness enthusiast, I’m always interested in continually improving my diet, so that I can recover faster from workouts, and make sure that I stay strong, healthy, and injury free. Collagen is the most abundant protein in the human body and is the substance that holds the whole body together. It is found in the bones, muscles, skin and tendons, where it forms a scaffold to provide strength and structure.
Some key facts on collagen (according to Medical News Today)
- It declines with age (as part of intrinsic aging), and is reduced by exposure to ultraviolet light and other environmental factors (extrinsic aging).
- Gives the skin its strength and structure, and also plays a role in the replacement of dead skin cells.
- Protein makes up around 20% of the body’s mass, and collagen makes up around 30% of the protein in the human body.
- May be beneficial in the treatment of osteoarthritis.
- Is made up of amino acids. Of these amino acids, nine are considered essential, i.e. they cannot be synthesized by the body and must be acquired through the diet.
With all that being said, Collagen is pretty important, especially for the fitness enthusiasts and athletes of the world, since we are constantly breaking tissue down during our workouts, yet building muscle as well. Making sure our bodies run smoothly and stay strong and healthy is a must. Through my research, I also learned that collagen can not be absorbed through the skin and therefore needs to be absorbed through our diet.
Why Vital Proteins?
Vital Proteins is a new brand on the market place, offering a collagen supplement to help us all increase our collagen uptake to keep our bodies running efficiently and effectively.
Their peptides offer a convenient way to add collagen to our diet. The mixes can be added to cold or hot drinks such as a smoothie, juice, water, tea, or coffee, as well as a variety of foods such as oatmeal and yogurt. They will not “gel” in cold liquids and they do not alter the texture or thicken liquids.
The PERFECT Afternoon Snack
- 8-12 ounces of coconut water
- 1 cup of ice
- 1 scoop Designer Protein Organic Pro 30 Chocolate Flavor (just a reminder that if you purchase Designer Protein through my referral link you get 20% off your order) – (or protein powder of your choice)
- 1 scoop Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
Collagen is the perfect ingredient to add to your protein drinks, as most Protein Powders do not have collagen peptides in them. The best part about this particular product is it has no flavor or smell. It is the perfect kind of supplement to your tasty beverage.
With all that protein and collagen, and goodness, you will be sure to stay full until dinner time!
Try it and let me know what you think!