Fear is the biggest thing that gets in the way of living the life we imagine. My dad growing up said, “I believe the each of our purpose while here on earth is to conquer our fears”. I always loved this because sometimes we are afraid even when we don’t realize it.
We are afraid of success, being happy, people judging us, falling in love, etc. And sometimes it’s more superficial like “afraid of sharks or snakes”. Some people are natural daredevils. They jump out of helicopters and ski; they walk tight ropes; surf 20ft waves, and more! There are those people who go camping in the wilderness for 30 days or travel around Europe for 3 months. And while I consider all of that to be adventurous, adventure is more than just the extremes. To me, adventure is anytime we get outside our comfort zone. Anytime we face our fears and overcome them.
Adventure – an unusual or exciting experience or activity.
If I had to choose a sector in the movie Divergent, which would you choose? I would choose Dauntless, or so I thought, until I saw the movie. haha. And until, I really started to understand my own fears. I didn’t realize I was so fearful, until I really started taking a hard look at myself, and recognizing when I had feelings of “fear”.
Are you afraid to go up and talk to strangers? Are you afraid of public speaking? Are you afraid of being hurt emotionally by friends, family, loved ones? Are you afraid of traveling? Some fears are warranted, like being afraid of sharks, haha. Other fears, ones that prevent us from being our authentic selves and living out our dream life, are learned, and I want to give my tips for breaking down those walls, and living a more adventurous life.
5 Tips to a More Adventurous Life
- It sounds cliché but do something once a day that scares you. Start with something small and that is the same for a week or two. Are you afraid at being the first one to say hi as you pass someone when you are out for a run? Challenge yourself to be the first one to wave and say hi, no matter what the outcome.
- Let go and try new foods! It’s a simple way to start being more adventurous and enter the world of the unknown. To me, in some ways, I’m always afraid to try new restaurants because I’m worried that it’s not going to be as good as restaurants that I knew I liked. But, I had to try that restaurant for the first time at some point. Go try out a new restaurant in your town or nearby city. Challenge yourself to do this once a month at the least to get you outside your comfort zone. If you are trying to save money – try making a new recipe you’ve never made before that has a food you have never tried or cooked before.
- Say “yes” to something that you want to say “no” to once a week. Whether it’s as simple as watching a new t.v show, or going to feed the homeless, or going to your friend’s poetry reading. Make it a point to say “yes” even when you’d rather to say “no” and start experiencing life rather than passing it by. Happiness has been shown to increase when we try or do new things.
- Shake up your routine – Run a different route, bike with new friends, start reading a new blog or online magazine/newspaper.
- Create something – You don’t have to be crafty to use your hands. Is there something you’ve always wanted to make? Give it a try. Who cares if you fail and it sucks? Let go of the need to be perfect or feel like it’s a waste of time. Everything in life is all about the experience if you ask me. If you fail, you fail. It gives you an opportunity to do better the next time.
The last thing that I do is I go somewhere internationally each year, and I like to go somewhere I’ve never been once every 2-3 months. I do crave “typical” adventure of being in the outdoors or visiting a new culture and experiencing life far away from my every day life. I still have to figure out where I’m going internationally this year (went to Mexico, but I’ve been there a ton).
Any recommendations on an affordable international trip? Leave a note in the comments!
Have you signed up for my weekly newsletter yet? Sign up here.
Never miss a post and follow me on Bloglovin‘.
Follow me on Instagram!
Love reading my blog? Share it with your friends and family! I appreciate your support!
Photos are from traveling in Colorado and California. 🙂